The draft strategy looks at the role our infrastructure system has in supporting our wellbeing. It recognises Te Tiriti o Waitangi (the Treaty of Waitangi) as the constitutional foundation of Aotearoa New Zealand. From this perspective, it sets the following vision:
E whakatakoto ana te hanganga i te tūāpapa o te ora o te tangata, o ngā wāhi, me ngā pakihi o Aotearoa kia ora rawa atu mō ngā whakatupuranga.
Infrastructure lays a foundation for the people, places and businesses of Aotearoa New Zealand to thrive for generations.
Looking to 2050
Looking to 2050, we aim for an infrastructure system that supports wellbeing through:
- A productive, sustainable and carbon-neutral economy.
- Affordable, accessible and healthy housing.
- Reliable, affordable and accessible travel options powered by renewable energy.
- Clean natural environments and heathy ecosystems.
- Access to education, employment, knowledge and recreation.
- Safe and healthy communities, iwi, hapū and whānau.
- A globally integrated economy.
- Resilience to the stresses and shocks the future will inevitably bring.
We have used three guiding principles to develop the draft strategy -
Equitable, aspirational and efficient.